Tuesday, April 3, 2012

TIME


One of my least liked terms has to do with time. Time is precious. It only happens once and that's it. You can't get it back and you can't change it. So when someone says to me "make the time" I just want to scream! It is not possible.  Yes, we need to make the best use of the time we have but that is it. Nothing left to do. The time has passed. If only I could 'make time' or go back and change time. Man, the things I would do differently and things I would have time to do in the first place that I just couldn't find the for. But alas, this can not be done. (At least not in our time). 

Time and experience are the greatest teachers. Hopefully, we have learned by what we have done in the past. If you could go back and redo something you had done wrong, you then loose the lesson you learned from the experience and quite probably end up doing that wrong thing anyway. Now wasn't that a waste of time.

The challenge is to make the best of the time we have. How do you do that? We don't have a crystal ball to look into future to show us what the best way is. We just have to make the best choices we can and deal with it. No we can't make time, we can't go back and change time, we can't even slow it down. Time is time.

We do tend to measure so many things by time. For someone like myself, a person very time aware, the clock measures life it self. Weather we are successful or not all boils down to time, or maybe not.

I have been trying to free myself a bit from that yoke I wear on my wrist. I have taken it off, even at work. About the only time I have a watch on anymore is when I am running. Maybe that is a mistake as well.

Recently I participated in my first running race of the season. The running club I belong to put it on. It was a 5K prediction race. You won by being the closest to your predicted time for the race. You were not allowed to carry a watch. I put in an estimated time for myself of 31:15.

Come race day, I had decided that I wasn't really going to worry about the time. I am the photographer for our running club so I decided that I was going to concentrate on getting photos and video clips during the race while participating in it. I stopped a number of times, I spent time running backwards, I slowed a certain points to get what looked like good shots. I didn't really worry about making time until the last 1.5K. At that point I thought I should get a little more into the race part and start running.

When I crossed the finish line I was very surprised to see that my time was 30:33! This is actually my best time for 5K so far this year. How the heck did that happen?? Maybe I should leave the watch behind more often. Don't know if I can go that far.

I have decided that time is what we make of it. Sometimes we need to be aware of it. People may be counting on you being somewhere at a specific time or having something ready to go at a set time. But maybe, just sometimes, it doesn't matter. Time will happen no mater what we do. And maybe sometimes we just need to let it happen and let the chips fall where they may.


No comments:

Post a Comment