Friday, July 1, 2011

Deer on the Road



It has been a big couple of weeks for me. I was preparing for a grading in karate and today is the day before the Kilt Run. I trained very hard for both of these events.

A couple of days ago I was out for a run along my usual route. I was concentrating very hard on the run as well as going over my katas in my head. I suddenly noticed a couple of deer standing in the road not more than a couple of hundred feet up in front of me. As I approached, they both ran off to the side of road and, I thought, into the woods. As I got closer, I could see that they had just gone off to the edge of the tree line along the road.

As I got closer, I could see there were actually three of them, all standing there, watching me very closely. I was a bit surprised that they continued to stand right where they were even as I ran past then, not more than 50 feet away. They just stood there and watched me as I went by. I had this image run through my head of the three of them standing there talking to each other as they watched me.

"There he goes again," says one of them.
A second says, "There must be something wrong with guy!"
The third one says to the others, "He's out here a lot these days. I think he's been spending far too much time in the sun."

This made me laugh so hard that I am sure if someone did see me at that time, running along the side of the road laughing the way I was, they would have thought that their fear for my state of mind was well-founded.

I have to admit that I am feeling a bit nervous about the Kilt Run tomorrow but I am sure I will get through it. All I am going to need to do is think back to those three deer at the side of the road watching me go by. I just hope I don't break out laughing.

Just goes to show that sometimes you can take life too seriously. Maybe every now and then you need to slow down and listen to the deer.

P.S. I am very happy to say that I have moved up to my green belt.

No comments:

Post a Comment